guix-devel

Re: time-machine broken from 2019-04-07 to 2019-05-04

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: time-machine broken from 2019-04-07 to 2019-05-04
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 17:56:17 +0100

Hi,

Konrad Hinsen <address@hidden> skribis:

> My impression is that tarballs are the preferred source code reference
> used in Guix today, with git commits used only when there is no release
> tarball. Is that an official policy, or just historical accident?
> If a policy, what's the reason for it?

There’s no real policy, other than to take a tarball when it contains
build system bits (typically when the tarball is made with GNU’s “make
dist”.)

Actually, we have more and more packages built from a Git checkout,
because this is becoming common practice.

I must say that the fact that SWH currently allows us to archive Git
checkouts more easily than tarballs gives a bit of an incentive to use
Git checkouts when there’s a choice.

Ludo’.