guix-devel

Re: Using the Hetzner Cloud

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: Using the Hetzner Cloud
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 20:16:14 +0000

Ellen Papsch <address@hidden> writes:

> a few days ago I requested the Guix installer from Hetzner as well. I
> gave them the ISO URL from Guix website. They mounted it without
> modification, which prevented boot due to the image being compressed. I
> had to supply the uncompressed image, which booted fine.

I had exactly the same experience, I've had this with other services as
well. For the next release at least, providing there are no big
technical blockers, it would be good to publish an uncompressed ISO
image, as well as a compressed one.

> Hetzner added the image only for me, which is a hindrance for Guix
> adoption. Another limitation is that I can't create new servers right
> away without going through installation. I can dance around it by
> creating a snapshot of a template server and creating the new server
> from that snapshot, then reconfiguring the system (or doing a deploy, I
> want to try that yet).

Hopefully if enough people ask them, they might include it in the ISO
images they provide to everyone.

Thanks for sharing your experiences,

Chris