guix-devel

Re: Guix search, colors and INSIDE_EMACS

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Guix search, colors and INSIDE_EMACS
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 10:30:56 +0100

Hi Pierre,

On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 at 10:51, Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> wrote:
> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

> > I suppose you are not using a comint-derived mode for your shell then.
>
> Precision: It works with M-x shell but not with Eshell.

Yes, it is expected.

1. INSIDE_EMACS is set by 'comint-mode'

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/lisp/comint.el#n830

2. 'shell-mode' derives from 'comint-mode' so INSIDE_EMACS is ok.

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/lisp/shell.el#n504

3. 'esh-mode' is derived from 'fundamental-mode' and I do not find
where INSIDE_EMACS is set by this mode.

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/lisp/eshell/esh-mode.el#n319

Therefore, IMHO you need to set the environment variable by yourself
in your config file. Or send a patch upstream.
Because the reason is that EShell is not doing the right thing and it
is not compliant to the doc.

The issue is not related to Guix but to EShell. :-)

Cheers,
simon