guix-devel

Re: Improving the translation process

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Improving the translation process
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2020 22:41:04 +0100

I think the Translation Project mailing lists are a good place to
discuss translations and they should be recommended.  I am thankful to
the German TP team’s Mario Blättermann for introducing me to the TP’s
way of working and giving help.  Also it is good to look at the PO
files collection at the TP to see how some word was translated in
other software.

However, this does not mean Guix needs to use the TP services for
translation.  To me, the need to upload a tarball to the TP seems
pointless.  Automated, regular upload of POT files would be very
welcome.

If Guix or Savannah decides on Weblate, the reason should be easier
maintenance for the maintainers, which I cannot comment on.  Opinions
on that would be interesting.

I had never heard of Weblate, so I watched:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVlXt6QdgdA

Most things I don’t care about.  The speaker talks about non-technical
people not downloading PO files.  I believe Guix translators need
technical knowledge anyway to understand what they translate.  I do
not believe sending emails is a problem for translators.  In my
opinion, downloading PO files is the best way to search, diff and
proofread.  I do not like that Javascript seems to be required to
download and upload PO files via Weblate.  Adding automated checking
for valid Texinfo would in a few cases be helpful, but is really
needed only if Weblate were to commit automatically.

I don’t think full machine translation is useful, in contrast to
machine-aided dictionaries like:

https://www.linguee.com/english-german/translation/proofread.html

Thank you for all your efforts in improving translations!

Regards,
Florian