guix-devel

Re: Guix search, colors and INSIDE_EMACS

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Guix search, colors and INSIDE_EMACS
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2020 17:40:54 +0100

Hi Ricardo,

On Tue, 4 Feb 2020 at 17:12, Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> wrote:

> > - Rename it to GUIX_INSIDE_EMACS?
> > - Document the existence of INSIDE_EMACS.
>
> The variable is set by Emacs.  As an Emacs feature we should not
> document it in Guix, nor should we rename it to GUIX_INSIDE_EMACS.

This is mitigated by foreign distro using bad packaged terminal, see e.g. [1].

[1] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=38940

And a couple of days, I was annoyed by this so I patched, see attached.

Note that 'guix system describe' has also the "issue" and do not use
the same function to display, I guess.

Otherwise, the OSC issue should be fixed by Emacs 27, I guess.
So the rename is probably not useful.

Cheers,
simon