guix-devel

Re: Parameterized packages

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Parameterized packages
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 17:56:31 +0100

Hi Zimoun!

zimoun <address@hidden> writes:

> Well, it would ease comparison in the HPC world. :-)
>

> It is not related to the "parametrized package" in the sense of flag
> options. :-)
>
> And I do not know if it make sense. What do you think?

I think you are making a lot of sense and yes, parameters should
probably be able to customize the builder as well.

But as I understand it, all the "configurable part" of the builder is
expose through the #:arguments field.  A simple example of this is
python: the python-build-system has an argument which allows the package
to specify whether we use python-2 or python-3.

In this case, it's trivial to use parameters to influence which compiler
the build system will use.

For gnu-build-system (with gcc, clang, etc.) we can probably do similar
things already by setting CC.

The solution to your problem in my opinion is simply to expose just the
right amount of options through #:arguments for all build systems.
Would that be satisfactory to you?

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/