guix-devel

Re: Package file indexing

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Package file indexing
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2020 13:57:45 +0100

raingloom <address@hidden> writes:

> What about files in root (so, ones with no slashes in their path, at
> least in your syntax) and files you don't know the full path of, only
> their basename?

For a file at root, e.g. the "bin" folder, you can match with "/bin".

If you only know the basename, same:  "/hg" will match "/bin/hg".

If you only know a substring, then you can use a regexp:

"/.*my-substring"

> Do you search for every word as a file path, just in case it might be
> one?

Yes.

> To avoid confusion, I think this should be an option/subcommand of
> search. Something like -path and -name in find(1).

I believe that there is no point in matching slashes ("/") in the
synopsis / description, so it's safe enough to use as a filter meant to
match only file names.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/