guix-devel

Re: Proposal for Outreachy (May-August 2020)

From: Jan
Subject: Re: Proposal for Outreachy (May-August 2020)
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2020 16:05:23 +0100

On Wed, 08 Jan 2020 07:06:26 +0000
"Raghav Gururajan" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello Jan!
>
> Yeah, I am too disappointed by some or half of the things they
> incorporated into the project. The thing is, I want to bring more
> newcomers of GNU+Linux System into Guix. I would like to see Guix
> being deployed as mainstream system for domestic and commercial
> purposes. For domestic users, there is a high requirement for
> graphical interfaces. Unfortunately, currently we have only GNOME and
> KDE as full-blown desktop environments. They both have similar issues
> regarding software freedom and software creep.  GNOME Software,
> QtWebKIT etc. Also. they both are tightly integrated redhat creeps
> such as network-manager, pulseaudio, dbus and systemd. The only
> reasons for me to lean towards GNOME over KDE, is that 1) Being GNU
> Project (hope it stays) 2) Being GTK based (shared dependency with
> most other free softwares).

Okay then, if it is going to help promoting Guix, I'm okay with this.

> I also see another light. Enlightenment. The EFL library is
> independent of gnome, kde and redhat related stuffs. It has systemd
> only as optional dependency. Also uses connman over network-manager.
> May there is some hope here. Once Enlightenment grows into drop-in
> replacement of GNOME or KDE. I will definitely be shifting my focus
> from GNOME to Enlightenment.

I found it a bit strange, guess I'll have to write my own DE anyway :)

> I love the design principles of Xfce. Modularity and re-usability.
> The only downside I face with Xfce are 1) Depends on GNOME stuff,
> dbus etc. 2) Not as feature-rich as GNOME or KDE. Anyway, Xfce is
> good light-weight DE fpr new-comers. That's why Xfce is still on my
> hope list.

Understandable.

> Let's not constrain ourselves by stating something as just
> opinion. :-) The matters you mentioned are real issues and factually
> causing trouble in software freedom. :-)

What I meant by this is I can't really make decisions for the whole
community, because I'm just a package maintainer. But you're right
those are serious issues.
> Regards,
> RG.

Jan Wielkiewicz