guix-devel

wrap-program –> wrap-script

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: wrap-program –> wrap-script
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 16:57:41 +0100

Hi Guix,

I’ve just pushed a change to use wrap-script in one package.  The
purpose of wrap-script is to wrap an executable without having to create
a separate wrapper shell script.  It does this by prepending a Guile
script to the top of the file, which sets the environment variables and
then re-executes itself with the target interpreter (e.g. Python).

I noticed two things:

1) wrap-script does not automatically pull in Guile as a dependency, so
if Guile isn’t among the inputs it will create a bad shebang.  This
should be fixed on core-updates.

2) we aren’t using wrap-script anywhere.  I think a good use case would
be the Python build system’s “wrap” phase where we currently use
wrap-program.  Most of the time we’d be dealing with Python scripts, so
using wrap-script would be more appropriate here.

What do you think?

--
Ricardo