guix-devel

Re: New POWER9 machines for the Guix build farm?

From: dftxbs3e
Subject: Re: New POWER9 machines for the Guix build farm?
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2019 21:35:29 +0100

Hello,

There is libre firmware being worked on, latest news say that it does work but some features are not implemented. I have not tested that firmware however.

There is a contest organized by RaptorCS to liberate the firmware: https://www.raptorcs.com/TALOSII/nic_fw_contest.php

And here's the ongoing work:

https://github.com/meklort/bcm5719-fw

https://wiki.raptorcs.com/wiki/BCM5719

An interesting thing to note is that 10Gbit network cards from the same vendor (Broadcom) are implemented fully with hardware ASICs and do not require firmware at all. So that's a work around to the problem. source: developer of the libre firmware.

dftxbs3e