guix-devel

Recent $EMACSLOADPATH changes broke my setup: Bug or Feature?

From: Diego Nicola Barbato
Subject: Recent $EMACSLOADPATH changes broke my setup: Bug or Feature?
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 16:01:14 +0100

Hey Guix,

I've already asked about this on IRC, but since the people responsible
for the changes didn't seem to be present I'll ask here too.

I use EXWM so I've installed ‘emacs’ and ‘emacs-exwm’ in my system
profile.  Additionally I've installed Emacs packages (‘emacs-org’,
‘emacs-pdf-tools’, ‘emacs-emms’, etc.) in my user profile.  Since the
changes to the way Emacs packages are handled this no longer works,
i.e. Emacs no longer knows about the packages installed in my user
profile.

I can work around it by installing ‘emacs’ to my user profile.  But it
doesn't make much sense to me that I have to install ‘emacs’ “twice”
just so an environment variable is set.

Is this an intended consequence of the recent changes or should this be
considered a bug?

Regards,

Diego