guix-devel

Re: ARM VM with networking support?

From: Mathieu Othacehe
Subject: Re: ARM VM with networking support?
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 15:39:09 +0100

Hey Marius,

> Do you know roughly what's needed to support cross-compiling in
> meson-build-system, apart from creating a '--cross-file'[0]?

Never looked into it, but it seems that nix has proper cross compilation
support for meson (using cross-file.conf as you mentionned), see:
nixpkgs/pkgs/development/tools/build-managers/meson/default.nix

Sadly there are other build-systems where cross-compiling isn't
supported:

* scons.scm
* haskell.scm
* python.scm
* ruby.scm
* perl.scm
* meson.scm
* r.scm
* android-ndk.scm
* go.scm
* waf.scm
* emacs.scm
* asdf.scm
* ocaml.scm
* node.scm
* julia.scm
* dune.scm
* dub.scm
* ant.scm
* linux-module.scm
* rakudo.scm
* cargo.scm
* glib-or-gtk.scm

As I think that using --system is not viable (horribly slow, hard to
find native hardware to cook substitutes), extending cross-compilation
support is very important IMO.

Thanks,

Mathieu