guix-devel

Re: Guix and FSDG

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guix and FSDG
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 18:59:34 +0100

Hello,

Clément Lassieur <address@hidden> skribis:

> Indeed 'guix build --source' returns the freed source.  However, the
> original archive does end up in /gnu/store, and its path in displayed
> during the build.

(Only if you build from source, without substitutes, etc.)

The spirit of the FSDG is that the distro must not provide, recommend, or
link to non-free code, and I think Guix is following that to the letter.

If you’re knowledgeable about Guix, sure you can find your way to the
original tarball that includes non-free bits.  But then, you can do that
more easily anyway: search for the package on the Web and you’re done.

For the record, this issue was discussed in the early days of Guix and I
don’t think anything has changed since then.  The current behavior of
‘guix build --source’ stems from those discussions (that was ca. 2015,
but I can’t find the links now).

Thanks,
Ludo’.