guix-devel

Re: Python 2 end-of-life?

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: Re: Python 2 end-of-life?
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 13:01:36 +0100

Hi Simon,

> What do you do?

Well, me, personally, I continue to do most of my research using Python 2
because I cannot afford to port everything to Python 3. And since I do
only number crunching, meaning nothing with security implications, I am
not particularly worried.

> Do we deprecate the python2 packages? If yes, what would be the
> schedule? If no, do we move all the python2 packages to a
> python2-xyz.scm file?
> Do we do nothing? Based on what rationale?

I'd say the very first thing we should do is look at all non-Python
packages that depend indirectly on Python 2. I remember during a recent
installation on a virtual machine that my very first package install,
which is always Emacs, downloaded Python 2 among many others, so there
remains some work to be done.

Once Python 2 lives in a largely isolated package sub-universe, I don't
see much harm keeping it in Guix for now. If security issues become
apparent, we might have to do something more drastic.

Cheers,
  Konrad.