guix-devel

Re: Packaging Jami progress

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Packaging Jami progress
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 11:45:59 +0100

Jan Wielkiewicz <address@hidden> writes:

> Is it normal guix ran from "./pre-inst-env" builds everything from the
> source code? I ran "./pre-inst-env guix build jami --cores=2
> --max-jobs=2" and Guix started to build webkitgtk, even though the
> substitute is available. Or did I change something that causes webkit
> to get rebuild.

If you changed any (recursive) input of webkitgtk, then yes, it will
trigger a rebuilt.

If you didn't, but if you "guix pulled" and upstream changed an input
recently while the build farm hasn't had time to produce a substitute,
then you'll have to build webkitgtk yourself, or wait for the build farm.

> This made checking if Jami builds properly not possible,
> because my machine has only 3,1 GB of RAM.
> I could set up Guix on my second, more powerfull machine, but last time
> I tried, the installer script didn't work on Devuan. I don't know if
> it's a bug, or is the system not supported. I could install Guix System
> there, but the machine is highly proprietary and Guix isn't yet fully
> ready for the desktop use for me (not every package I use, including
> Jami, is available yet).

> But I suppose Jami will work this time, there's not much (or nothing) to
> fix now. I'm attaching all patches, including the most recent.

Thanks a lot, I'll give it a shot then.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/