guix-devel

Re: smallerizing bootstrap guile?

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: smallerizing bootstrap guile?
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 14:38:41 +0100

On Mon 04 Nov 2019 11:57, Efraim Flashner <address@hidden> writes:

> Is there a good way to actually compile the .go files and use them to
> replace the ones shipped in the guile-static tarball?
> Can we do this on purpose and ship just the bin/ output, grab guile
> sources and compile it for real? Or can I delete the .go files, take the
> .scm files and compile them? Any hints on the guild invocation?

Not entirely sure what you mean, but it would be possible to unpack
Guile's sources, include as a build input a built version of that same
Guile, then do

  make GUILE_FOR_BUILD=[path to native guile] -C prebuilt/32-bit-big-endian

then take the .go files from prebuilt/32-bit-bit-endian and define them
as an output for some guile-32-bit-big-endian bootstrap package.  Then
you could use that package as an input to another package that builds a
native PPC Guile, but having previously unpacked the .go files into
prebuilt/ on the PPC package, after the step in the existing Guile
recipes that scrubs prebuilt/.

Andy