guix-devel

Re: Publishing news about Guix on a weekly basis

From: L p R n d n
Subject: Re: Publishing news about Guix on a weekly basis
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 07:41:43 +0100

Hello,

Thanks for the work and the proposal! :)

I find it very interesting! As Guix is somewhat (?) a rolling release,
having a regular source of news and progress report would be very
welcome, I think. It lowers the level of commitment needed to follow the
guix project, specially for newcomers, less technical users and/or
people just waiting for the right moment to jump in. Currently people
need to , at least, subscribe (and read the mailing list) and check
regularly on git to know what's happening.

As for the cadence, I'm not really sure. 1 Month seems nice because it
gives probably enough time for people to write one or two sentences on
whats happening without to much of a burden for each post. Or if we go
for a weekly post, I think we should stick with automatic posts. I fear,
human written informations (highlights) would be lost in the flow, otherwise.
Could we use guix pull --news datas here?

One little thing that could be nice, IMHO, is to add the last commit
used for the diff to let people pull from it. Or even a full copy-patable
'guix pull commit=...'. And if, the message is posponed 24h (or anything
convenient) after the commit has been pushed, it could be a handy way
for users to pull from a recent commit, yet with (probably) substitutes.
What do you think?

Have a nice day

L  p r n  d n