guix-devel

Re: Maintaining GNU Jami package for Guix

From: Jan Wielkiewicz
Subject: Re: Maintaining GNU Jami package for Guix
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2019 13:01:39 +0100

Dnia 2019-10-31, o godz. 23:26:39
Marius Bakke <address@hidden> napisaƂ(a):

> Do you have a link to the patches that Jami/pjproject needs?
You can find patches in the ring-project/daemon/contrib/src/pjproject
directory from the latest source tarball here:
https://dl.jami.net/ring-release/tarballs/

> It would be great if we could use system versions of GnuTLS and cURL,
> because otherwise Jami risks not getting security updates.
A bit unlikely, they update dependencies quickly, but they're slower
than upstream. Keeping a separate version and updating it paralelly
will prevent breaking the build process of the modified pjproject
version.

> If they really need special patched versions of some libraries, you
> can do something along these lines to create a
> cusctm variant:
>
> (define-public gnutls/jami
>   (hidden-package
>    (package/inherit
>     gnutls
>     (source (origin
>               (inherit (package-source gnutls))
>               (patches (append (origin-patches gnutls)
>                                (search-patches
> "gnutls-jami.patch"))))))))
Why can't we just keep paralell version for a package? Like
gnutls @ 3.6.7, gnutls @ 3.6.9 etc?

> I realize now that this won't do the right thing wrt grafts, but we
> can deal with that later.  :-)
Don't really know what grafts are yet, so we can indeed skip this
now :)

Jan Wielkiewicz