guix-devel

Re: 'core-updates' Q4 2019

From: Timothy Sample
Subject: Re: 'core-updates' Q4 2019
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 23:07:06 -0400

Hi again,

Timothy Sample <address@hidden> writes:

> I’ll report back if I have good luck with fsck and am able to do more
> testing.  :)

I was able to build everything and start testing.  To use “guix system
vm” I had to disable tests in QEMU due to a failure.  I did not
investigate it.

This turned up in the logs [1]:

    (.gnome-shell-real:317): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 03:50:44.482:
        Settings schema 'org.gnome.mutter' is not installed.

It was followed by a warning that “org.gnome.Shell.desktop” was killed.
This is the same message mentioned in the comment explaining disabled
tests in the “mutter” package.

There’s a “glib-or-gtk?” flag for the Meson build system.  Setting it to
“#t” in the “mutter” package makes GDM and GNOME work in a VM.  It
compiles the schemas and wraps Mutter so that it knows where they are.
It does nothing for the tests, though.  However, from the log of an
older Mutter build [2], it looks like the tests were not being run
correctly under Autotools anyway (it looks like not a single test is
actually run).

Hope that helps!

-- Tim

[1] It’s not obvious, but if you edit the GDM configuration file
generation code in “gnu/services/xorg.scm”, you can enable debug output
for GDM.  The debug output is usually extremely helpful!

[2] https://ci.guix.gnu.org/log/q0gkbynj35qp522bi8sf98kzwrsyy037-mutter-3.30.2