guix-devel

Re: (Really) Free Software future in the light of systemd

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: (Really) Free Software future in the light of systemd
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 02:00:39 +0300

Stefan Huchler <address@hidden> wrote:
> If I write a program and it's elisp there is only as far as I know one
> interpreter and all libs I use are also not replacable without rewriting code.

Even if put aside that we have at least two elisp interpreters alive: there is
also GNU Guile; GNU Emacs is actually quite bad example to illustrate the
systemd lock-in problem.  For many years it had had a divergent fork — XEmacs,
and many non-core parts of GNU Emacs, like Gnus, still contain code that tries
to be portable between them.

> So is all my programmes I ever wrote also not Free software because it's not
> based on some very primitive Kernel Systemcalls (that have to be then not
> even linux specific right?

While Linux® is indeed might be a very relevant example.  It’s a way more
widespread; has software more critical that DE, like Wayland, that targets it
exclusively; and since the advent of LLVM is basically the only effectively
irreplaceable part of GNU left.

I wish open software (that how the standard-based software is properly called)
advocates, which are now focused on systemd, would better turn their attention
to Linux®.