guix-devel

Re: Joint statement on the GNU Project

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Joint statement on the GNU Project
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2019 19:26:54 +0200

* Alfred M. Szmidt <address@hidden> [2019-10-12 19:13]:
>    Hasn't RMS already officially stepped down?
>
> He resigned from the FSF board, he is still Chief GNUisance.

That means nothing in terms of legality and policy making. Stepping
down as President of FSF means really only that FSF has different way
of management, but not different policy.

RMS is a voting member of the FSF and together with other voting
members can do many things, including to straighten the organization,
replace directors, elect new people and similar.

I have read Articles of the FREE SOFTWARE FOUNDATION, INC. And I have
read By-Laws and the General Laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusets.

>    What position does he hold within today's GNU project other than
>    being a wise old person (wise with respect to his topics of
>    expertise) who is respected a lot?
>
> While the GNU project is very loose in its organization, it is RMS
> who decides what projects get accepts into the GNU project, who is
> or isn't a GNU maintainer, and has the final say on anything related
> to the project.

He is currently the only one promoting free software in the world.

See from 27th August 2019:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCh8EcBrptA

See from September 4th 2019:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/free-software-advocate-richard-stallman-spoke-at-microsoft-research-this-week/

When somebody thinks of programming only, than the person does not
understand work of RMS and policy making and planning without which
there would be no FSF, no web space, no support for free software,
just nothing.

Policies for GNU projects have been already said, anybody can propose
free software to be included in GNU, follow the guidelines and make it
free for all people of the planet:
https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/index.html

Jean