guix-devel

Re: btrfs and Guix features [was: gnu: next: Compress the executable.]

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: btrfs and Guix features [was: gnu: next: Compress the executable.]
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2019 09:44:09 +0200

Hi Maxim!

> I've used a full backup to migrate from hard drives in the past; it's
> actually faster to sync drives than fetch packages off the internet, and
> my system is exactly in the same *state* as it was left (including those
> bookmarks in Icecat, those cached emails, etc.).
>
> Keep in mind that multiple subvolumes can be used to hold your 'home' or
> other data partitons, making these individually easy to snapshot and
> backup.

I personally prefer to restore the home data (bookmarks, emails...) in a
functional, declarative manner (for now via scripts, later maybe via
Shepherd user services if I find time / money to work on this).  It's
more work, but if we get user services we could factor this work so that
everyone benefits from it.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/