guix-devel

Re: btrfs and Guix features [was: gnu: next: Compress the executable.]

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: btrfs and Guix features [was: gnu: next: Compress the executable.]
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2019 17:59:01 +0200

Pierre,

Pierre Neidhardt 写道:
Maxim Cournoyer <address@hidden> writes:

I like that Btrfs allows to set different namespaces (think of LVM logical volumes) on the fly as subvolumes. I use snapshots as a mean of backups, (using the btrfs send/receive mechanism to backup the snapshots
(differentially) to external storage).

Aren't btrfs snapshots overlapping with Guix generations?

A few ‘traditional’ distributions use btrfs snapshots to do what Guix does natively and much better: system roll-backs. Reversing that to call btrfs's features ‘overlapping’ with Guix seems very forced to me :-)

Guix generations don't even protect the one valuable part: the human-written configuration that created it. You need to do that yourself (probably with git). Everything else is just insanely convenient caching.

Generations also don't allow you to btrfs send/receive, which I think was Maxim's main point. If there's another KISSy way to back up whole Guix Systems over the Internet, I don't know of it (rsync can't, nor can borg or restic or…, and everything else is too much work :o).

Kind regards,

T G-R