guix-devel

Re: 02/02: gnu: next: Compress the executable.

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: 02/02: gnu: next: Compress the executable.
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2019 10:53:45 +0300

On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 03:43:45PM +0200, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
> True.
>
> I've been using Btrfs for my data for a little while and I'm very happy
> with it.
>
> I wonder how Btrfs fares for a Guix system.  In many ways, Guix
> supersedes many of the features of Btrfs (snapshots and deduplication in
> particular).  So I wonder if it's not redundant and possibly incurs a
> waste of energy.
>
> What's your experience, Maxim?

Not Maxim, but I use btrfs also on my Guix Systems. I have the
compression set to lz4, which doesn't compress a lot but does
compress/decompress with minimal CPU overhead so I feel like I'm getting
some benefit from it. In general compression can "speed up" disk
operations since you can write easily compressible data faster than
regular data.

Other than that after boot-up I run 'sudo chattr +C /tmp' to make my
/tmp dir not copy-on-write, which helps with building packages. I also
have a daily cron job to balance my disk and to scrub it. Overall I
don't really use very many features that aren't available on ext4.

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר