guix-devel

Re: 01/01: services: Add ‘/usr/bin/env’ special file.

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: 01/01: services: Add ‘/usr/bin/env’ special file.
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2019 10:13:00 +0200

Hi Bengt,

Bengt Richter <address@hidden> skribis:

> On +2019-09-09 00:07:10 +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

[...]

>> Like I wrote in <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/35910#2> and in the
>> message it refers to, although I was initially mildly reluctant to
>> having /usr/bin/env by default, I’ve come to think that lack of
>> /usr/bin/env is a gratuitous annoyance—not to me of course, but to
>> newcomers as we’ve seen repeatedly, be they seasoned GNU/Linux users or
>> not.
>>
>> With that in mind, adding /usr/bin/env by default is probably a good move.
>>

> Hi Ludo,
>
> I may be one of those (over-) seasoned (past best-before) users you mention :)
> -- but with all due respect, is this not a compromise of the fundamental
> idea of guix _transactional_ package management?

No it’s not.  It really doesn’t change anything.

First, you can always opt out—the discussion was about whether it should
remain opt-in, or whether it should become opt-out.

Second, and more importantly: packages (“derivations”) are still built
in an isolated environment that does not and will never contain
/usr/bin/env.

Sorry I’m not replying to your other points now, but I hope it clarifies
things!

Thanks,
Ludo’.