guix-devel

Re: Seeking Outreachy internship project proposals

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: Seeking Outreachy internship project proposals
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2019 11:05:58 +0200

Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> writes:

> Christopher Baines <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. szept. 6.,
> P, 8:55):
>

>> Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> writes:
>>

>> > After discussing this with Ricardo and Ludo, it seems that the way
>> forward
>> > would be to
>> > get the project under the Guix umbrella, like it was done for cuirass. If
>> > you do not oppose,
>> > I would like to ask Ludo to file a request for a sub-repository to
>> > savannah-hackers, so that
>> > we could move the code there. Wdyt?
>>
>> That works for me :)
>>
>> I guess this kind of thing relates to the "Project Contribution
>> Information" part of the proposal. I think there's some other bits of
>> preparation to do for this, like:
>>
>>  - Making sure the service is actually running publicly somewhere (maybe
>>    milano-guix-1 if that's back working, maybe somewhere else if not)
>>
>>  - Generating a small sample database that can be used for local
>>    development
>>
>>  - Writing some step-by-step instructions for running the service
>>    locally
>>
>> I'm guessing that it would be ideal to have all this done by the 24th of
>> September, but it would be good to clarify that?
>>

> It would be nice to have it by the 24th.
> I guess we can skip the publicly running instance, if we must.

Since my last email, milano-guix-1 is back online, so for now there is a
public instance at [1]. I'm looking at setting up DNS and other things
so that it's available at data.guix.gnu.org.

1: http://milano-guix-1.di.unimi.it:8765/

>> > Also, should you need any help in finding out what to do with the TODO
>> > sections, we could arrange
>> > an appointment on IRC. How does that sound?
>>
>> Regarding the "Internship Tasks", I have some ideas here that I haven't
>> written up yet, I also just need to do some more thinking and
>> investigating. I'm sure if I spend some time looking, I can find some
>> rough edges in the functionality that would make good small tasks.
>>
>> I'm not particularly clear on the timeline for this though, does this
>> need to be done by the 24th of September, or sooner?
>>

> The proposal is just a rough project outline, which can be refined later,
> but should be in its final form by the 24, so that applicants reading it
> can have a rough estimate of the timeline, and of the milestones.

Ok, that sounds fine.

> Having starter tasks defined is actually outside the scope of Outreachy, but
> an applicant must have a valid contribution to the project by the time of
> intern
> selection. These are also very helpful for you to know what it would be
> like to with
> a given intern. I would say there is no strict timeline on this, but very
> much reduces
> the communication overhead at the beginning, thus it is easier for you, and
> more
> attractive to the applicants. Wdyt?

That all sounds fine to me, I've updated the application with some tasks
which I think would make good initial contributions. I'm not sure how
relevant I can make them to the project (without making them too
complicated), so I've just been looking for small improvements to the
exisiting functionality (mostly specifying JSON responses, where I
haven't).

>> > Also, Ricardo brought to my attention the following things, that could

>> Some beginning, and sub-tasks need outlining, and once that is more
>> understood, hopefully we'll be in a better place to check if the above
>> is a reasonable goal. I think it would be also good to add some stretch
>> goals as well.
>>

> Yes, stretch tasks also make sense. Later the applicants will also be asked
> a timeline. It is nice if they plan some spare time in their schedule, so
> that they
> can stay on deadline, and be less stressed about it.

Sounds good :)