guix-devel

Re: bootstrap guile version mismatch on core-updates

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: bootstrap guile version mismatch on core-updates
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 11:19:03 +0300

On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 04:12:00PM +0200, dftxbs3e wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It seems that guile2.2 is built by make-bootstrap.scm here:
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/make-bootstrap.scm?h=core-updates#n625
>
> but guile2.0 is expected here:
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/bootstrap.scm?h=core-updates#n373
>
> For the purpose of my ongoing port to powerpc64le-linux-gnu, I applied
> the attached patch, but obviously that one wont work with the previously
> built tarballs for x86_64 etc. Things would have to be split in parts
> somehow, for old bootstraps with version 2.0 and newer ones with version
> 2.2.
>
> Thanks

I had a similar issue with grep vs egrep/fgrep when I was porting
aarch64. My suggestion is to "make unilateral changes" to the source
where necessary to make the bootstrap work and then return to it later
and clean it up so it doesn't break all the other architectures.

If you do want to hack at it now, the two things I can think of
immediately are '(version-major+minor (package-version %bootstrap-guile))'
to see if it's 2.0.x or 2.2.x, or %target-system, which I found to be a
bit harder to work with that early in the bootstrap process.

I don't have my 32-bit PPC machine out or I could check to see what I
tried on that machine, but I think I just changed it to 2.2 and figured
I'd come back to it later.

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר