guix-devel

Re: syslogd can't be started when running Guix in Docker

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: syslogd can't be started when running Guix in Docker
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 23:00:09 +0200

Konrad Hinsen <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Do you observe similar slowness with other Docker images—e.g., Debian
>> images?
>
> No. But I don't observe any slowness with Guix either. Once it's up and
> running, performance is normal (except for the known problem with access
> to macOS file systems). It's only the daemon startup failure that
> suggests a problem. I haven't had such problems with other Docker images
> based on Debian or Ubuntu.

Hmm, it’s hard to draw any conclusion though, because systemd can do
things concurrently, so perhaps the process startup slowness is
invisible because it’s able to perform other startup work while waiting
for daemons.  (It also spawns fewer daemons because some of these are
subsumed by PID 1.)

Who knows!

Ludo’.