guix-devel

Re: Guix beyond 1.0: let’s have a roadmap!

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guix beyond 1.0: let’s have a roadmap!
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2019 12:05:50 +0200

Hi Alex,

I think some of the items you suggests are tasks that people could start
working on right away, as opposed to long-term deep changes, so I’d
encourage you to submit them as wishlist items to address@hidden.

"Alex Griffin" <address@hidden> skribis:

> ** TODO use guile-bash to automatically update environment variables when the
> current profile changes

People don’t necessarily use Bash though, but I agree that’s something
like that would be nice, even if that’s just for a specific shell.
That’s something we can already start experimenting with!

> ** TODO run-time configuration system for services, similar to OpenWrt's UCI

What does it mean?  (I don’t know UCI.)

> * Command Line Interface
>
> ** TODO refresh able to take a contributor name and find out-of-date packages
> that they have contributed to
>
> ** TODO improved search: support AND terms instead of OR, configurable recfmt
> template

“And” is now the default.  A configurable rec template would be nice,
but it could also be hard to use and thus not very much used; anyway,
we’d need to discuss this in more detail so see what the goal is and how
we can achieve it.

> ** TODO package --show should allow multiple arguments and not require an
> equal sign

Maybe a ‘guix show’ alias, then?

> * Other
>
> ** TODO evaluate shepherd service definitions placed somewhere in
> ~/.guix-profile before evaluating ~/.config/shepherd/init.scm

+1

> ** TODO support automatic GPG/signify signature verification of origin objects

For users or for packagers?

Thanks,
Ludo’.xs