guix-devel

Re: 01/01: services: Add SRFI-26 to Nix activation gexp.

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: 01/01: services: Add SRFI-26 to Nix activation gexp.
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 18:08:20 +0200

Ludo',

Ludovic Courtès wrote:
(srfi srfi-26) must not be added to the imported modules: it would import it from the host Guile, but the host Guile version may differ
between users

I looked at ‘G-Expressions’ in the manual before but I didn't see this documented. Did I miss it, or is this tribal knowledge?

Assuming there's at least a probably-good and definitely-bad set of modules that should(n't) be imported this way: can we at least print a warning when a non-(guix) module is listed, or whatever the rule would be?

, and thus the resulting derivation would also differ.

Just to make sure I follow, it's obviously wrong it both cases: this would only be exposed if Guile's CUT suddenly changed its *behaviour* in a visible (and likely very unintentional) way, right? Or does with-imported-modules pull in (and hash) the actual object code (/closure)?

The right thing is to just (use-modules (srfi srfi-26)), which has the effect of using that module from the Guile being used for builds.

Could you adjust it accordingly?

Please take a second to check whether 79d19d7d does what you meant.

Thanks, and thanks for the bug fix!

Thank you for answering my many questions,

T G-R