guix-devel

Re: Reviewing KDE Plasma state on Guix System

From: Marius Bakke
Subject: Re: Reviewing KDE Plasma state on Guix System
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 14:26:57 +0200

Hi Félicien,

Félicien Pillot <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Guix,
>
> First, I would like to congratulate and thank you for the excellent work you
> are doing in the development of both Guix and this community.

Thank you for the kind words!  :-)

> Then, I'm writing today because I would be interested to have the KDE Plasma
> desktop running on Guix System.
> I am willing to participate in its integration; I have already seen —roughly—
> that a good part of kde-frameworks was already packaged in the Guix depots; I
> also saw that some core parts for the desktop are currently missing.
> Before I start a full diagnosis of the current situation, I would like to
> know: does someone in the team already have done so? or would perhaps be
> responsible for integrating the KDE packages? in short, have we now a good
> overview of the current situation, on where the KDE packaging process is
> currently at?
> If there isn't any "global vision" of the state-of-the-art for the Plasma
> desktop yet, I would be happy to take care of it, by searching on the mailing
> list, testing the different parts already integrated, the necessary
> dependencies, the missing parts, etc. I'm a newby in Guile and Guix, so it
> would probably take time (and questions)

Hartmut did work on KDE Plasma in the past.  You may find some of his
packages here:
<https://gitlab.digitalcourage.de/htgoebel/guix/blob/kde-plasma/gnu/packages/kde-plasma.scm>.

I don't think anyone else have attempted it, so your help is very
welcome!

You may find the KDE updater useful before you begin packaging new
applications:

  ./pre-inst-env guix refresh -t kde -u

...that command will update the package versions and hashes in your
local repository with the latest ones found on the KDE mirrors.  It
requires a local Guix checkout as described in the manual under
"Building from git".  Feel free to send patches as you go along.

Hope this helps, and welcome to Guix!