guix-devel

Re: Lightning talk at IPFS camp

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Lightning talk at IPFS camp
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2019 10:13:58 +0200

Thank you all for your comments!

> That sounds like a great opportunity. Guix and IPFS are in my humble
> opinion two of the most interesting ongoing projects in the computing
> world.. Bringing the two together can only make this better.

My humble opinion is on the same page ;)

>        - A unified way to refer to stuff (I am thinking of IPLD here)
>                No more tarballs, git commits, etc. CIDs everywhere.

Do you have a concrete use case?

>        - A unified storage scheme for all data, both "system" and "user".

Can you elaborate?

I'm not too sure about how human input would be logged, but at the very
least the idea of distributing the store seems amazing.

In a not so distant future, we could simply distribute the store of
everyone.
So if Alice built qtwebkit locally (at last!), then Bob will be able to
fetch the substitute.  There would be no difference between substitute
servers and Guix users connected to the Internet.

Anonymity should not really be a problem here, and even then it could be
done over Tor.

Thoughts?

--
Pierre Neidhardt