guix-devel

Re: glibc 2.29 needs Python

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: glibc 2.29 needs Python
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 14:46:35 +0200

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:

>> I started looking at what it would take to upgrade glibc to 2.29 on
>> ‘core-updates’.  Bad news: it depends on Python.
>
> I had to check the date.  This is for real?

It's for real:

Changes to build and runtime requirements:

* Python 3.4 or later is required to build the GNU C Library.

https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-announce/2019/msg00000.html

AFAIU the relevant patch is
https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=commit;h=c6982f7efc1c70fe2d6160a87ee44d871ac85ab0

Before that commit «Python is (was) required to build the GNU C Library
manual and to run some tests.» (and AFAIU tests was skipped if Python
was not available in the build environment)

[...]

Viva Guix! Gio'.

--
Giovanni Biscuolo