guix-devel

Re: postgresql vs sqlite for Cuirass (was Re: Hackathon: Mumi and Cuiras

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: postgresql vs sqlite for Cuirass (was Re: Hackathon: Mumi and Cuirass)
Date: Fri, 17 May 2019 10:26:24 +0200

Hello,

Giovanni Biscuolo <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. máj. 16., Cs, 16:23):
Hello Björn,

Björn Höfling <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>> 2) Cuirass
>
> On Guix days, we discussed the idea of using Postgresql as a backend.

Please do you remember the rationale behind this idea?

This was just an idea to test if we can make the database scalability problem we
currently have solved.

What is the issue with using sqlite?

Currently the database response times on sqlite are not acceptable.
Any suggestions to overcome this would be appreciated.

Why a client/server approach vs an embedded database?

I don't have much experience with web applications backed by sqlite, but
AFAIU sqlite is sometime "misunderstood"

Some interesting arguments from sqlite developer:
https://sqlite.org/whentouse.html#website

Dynamic content uses about 200 SQL statements per webpage. This setup
runs on a single VM that shares a physical server with 23 others and yet
still keeps the load average below 0.1 most of the time.

https://sqlite.org/np1queryprob.html

200 SQL statements per webpage is excessive for client/server database
engines like MySQL, PostgreSQL, or SQL Server.

But with SQLite, 200 or more SQL statement per webpage is not a problem.

SQLite can also do large and complex queries efficiently, just like
client/server databases. But SQLite can do many smaller queries
efficiently too. Application developers can use whichever technique
works best for the task at hand.

[...]

N+1 Queries Are Not A Problem With SQLite

[...]

Thanks! Gio'

--
Giovanni Biscuolo