guix-devel

Re: Video narration

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Video narration
Date: Mon, 06 May 2019 15:35:58 +0200

Paul Garlick <address@hidden> writes:

> I think we are seeing a difference between wall-clock time and cpu
> time.  In the screen file I can see there is a snap! procedure that
> writes a frame to disk after each interval.  It looks as if the disk
> i/o is interrupting the sleep counter and introducing a delay that
> depends on the system activity.

Oof.

> We may need to change tack to get accurate time delays.  One thought is
> to replace the timer with a 'repeat' procedure that repeats the
> previous frame.

I only wrote snap! because we don’t know how long it takes for output to
be produced by command line tools.  Not everything is instantaneous.
A regularly timed snap! was supposed to capture intermediate output such
as progress bars.

Are you saying you want to take snapshots in larger intervals and pad
the intermediate frames with duplicates of previous frames?

--
Ricardo