guix-devel

Re: KMScon vs. AMD Radeon

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: KMScon vs. AMD Radeon
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2019 14:17:03 +0200

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 11:47:04PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <address@hidden> skribis:
> > On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 02:09:57PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> > The resolution is slightly too small to read all text boxes in the
> > installer’s disk partitioning dialog though.  The screen height is
> > only about 35 lines.  I don’t know how to fix this, but it is not that
> > important.
>
> Do you mean the resolution is too low?  Are there fewer lines that in
> the QEMU screenshot below?

Yes, there are fewer lines.  The line above “Choose the language” is
the first visible line.  The header -| Locale language |- is
invisible.  The bottom of the window with ----------------- is the
last visible line.  That makes for 31 lines in total.

> > The installer got stuck in a bash prompt at the end (which is probably
> > unrelated to AMD).  I exited the bash prompt and got an installer
> > dialog message with a button to Reboot, but it did not reboot.
>
> It got stuck after ‘guix system init’ had completed, right?

Yes.  I just installed anew.  Right after “bootloader successfully
installed on '/boot/efi'”, a bash prompt is shown and accepts input:

bash-4.4#

> Were there any hints in /var/log/messages or tty12?

The last messages in tty12 as well as in /var/log/messages are

Apr 19 13:11:18 localhost shepherd[1]: Service cow-store has been started.
Apr 19 13:25:51 localhost connmand[483]: ntp: adjust (slew): -0.014120 sec

so presumably the only thing that was logged after installation
started is a boring NTP adjust.

An approximate transcription of what pstree shows:

|-kmscon---8kj92lqap405nfs---9xd24lv3gpp5qgh---bash---pstree
|                          |                 \-9*[{9xd24lv3gpp5qgh}]
|                           \-7&[{8kj92lqap405nfs}]

According to ps output, 8kj is installer and 9xd is installer-real.

I do not know how to attach to 9xd with gdb.

Either way, once I quit bash I get an -| Installation complete |-
message.

> > Then the installed system has no graphics too (graphics freeze at the
> > same message
> >
> > [   51.910992] fb0: switching to radeondrmfb from EFI VGA
> >
> > but I cannot add modprobe.blacklist=radeon because GRUB does not
> > recognize my USB keyboard now (in the installer’s GRUB the USB
> > keyboard was recognized).
>
> Weird.  What keyboard layout had you selected?

English (US) intl. with AltGr dead keys.

> Is it UEFI or “BIOS”?

UEFI.

> (Also, I gather dd’ing to a USB key worked this time, right?)

Yes.  This machine boots Guix git master fine, the ISO 9p cache issue
is fixed, other issues with booting on my Macbook are not an issue on
this machine.

Regards,
Florian