guix-devel

TeX Live

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: TeX Live
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 15:38:58 +0200

Hi Pierre,

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> skribis:

> About 1.0 release date set to April the 30th, I can think of one big
> obstacle still in the way: texlive.  Currently I cannot compile a
> standard LaTeX document with a table (can anyone reproduce?).
>
> The big TeXlive revamp is on its way on the "wip-texlive" branch, but I
> won't realistically have time to work on it before the end of the month.
> I don't know if anyone else has got the time.  Jelle?  Ricardo?

To me this doesn’t have to be done on 1.0.  The current TeX Live
situation is not as good as what will come after, but it’s better than
what we had before :-), and I’d say it’s good enough.

For the specific usability issue you mention (what’s the right package
to install when one wants tables?), I think we should add a section in
the manual, as has been discussed before.

> Whether it's a blocker or not for 1.0 is debatable I guess.  It looks a
> bit bad.  Maybe show a disclaimer on the download page / manual that
> this broken part is currently being addressed?

Definitely not a blocker IMO, though I agree that this is important
work.

Thanks,
Ludo’.