guix-devel

Installer & locales

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Installer & locales
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2019 18:10:25 +0200

Hello Florian,

"pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <address@hidden> skribis:

> I tested an old install image a few weeks old and the
> locales/languages in the language selection at the beginning were
> apparently not sorted by their English name, but the English name was
> displayed, so the sorted order was wrong.  Also, will the locale
> chosen at the beginning affect the installer’s locale and use
> translations?  (I know there are no translated po files yet for the
> installer, but would they get used?)  Would it be possible to first
> select the locale in the installer and then select a manual
> non-installer setup and be shown the info manual for the chosen locale
> instead of the English info manual?

Lots of questions.  :-)

I moved the language selection dialog to be the very first thing in
commit 850ddf94e86a1711328e39872c7830ad6d5020b4.

It would be nice to show the translated manual according to the chosen
locale (when it exists).

It’d also be nice to display the name of languages natively, rather than
their English name, but I’m not sure if we have data from libc to do
that.

Help welcome!

Ludo’.