guix-devel

Re: What is the philosophy behind shepherd?

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: What is the philosophy behind shepherd?
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2019 15:35:15 +0200

On Sat, Apr 06, 2019 at 07:08:55PM -0400, Christopher Lemmer Webber wrote:
> In other words, I think systemd exists in many ways to make up for the
> limitations of a monolithic kernel approach.  In that way, it makes
> sense, but I think we could do better with a different fundamental
> infrastructure.

One way to view it is that systemd does a lot of 'magic'. I.e., there
are internal assumptions that are not that clear. A black box.

For most users, or use cases, that is fine, but when it comes to
running robust and reliable systems you want to define a system with
its services as a reproducible 'expression', much in the spirit of
Guix.

That is where shepherd comes in.

Systemd reminds me too much of Microsoft Windows. Things just happen.

Pj.