guix-devel

Re: Software Heritage & Guix

From: mikadoZero
Subject: Re: Software Heritage & Guix
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2019 20:58:24 -0400

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Long-term archival is something that cannot be left to peer-to-peer
> networks: it’s something where you want availability guarantee, whereas
> peer-to-peer storage networks usually replicate content that’s popular,
> while unpopular content disappears.

As IPFS is already being discussed on the Guix mailing list I looked into
it as an example of how it deals with this "availability guarantee".

There is a relevant section in their documentation on pinning services
which seems to address this directly:

https://docs.ipfs.io/guides/concepts/pinning

So maybe peer to peer data storage networks can do long-term archival.

I am just using IPFS as an example there are alternatives to it.