guix-devel

Re: custom kernel config

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: custom kernel config
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2019 17:49:14 +0300

On Tue, Apr 02, 2019 at 10:04:29AM +0200, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
> Efraim Flashner <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I haven't checked to see if my custom kernel works yet on my laptop, but
> > compile time was 43 minutes on my kids' computer. Stock
> > address@hidden took 267 minutes.
> >
> > My custom kernel came in at 34MB, the stock kernel is 251MB.
>
> Great success! :)
>
> My attempts on my Xiaomi Air 13:
>
> - Stock build time: ~50 minutes.
> - Custom kernel, starting from nothing: 5-10 minutes.
>   It works, but the mousepad and the sound are missing.  I can't figure
>   which component is missing.  Does anyone know if there is any reliable
>   way to know the kernel config I need for that?

I think I used Gentoo's documentation from the handbook¹ and laboriously
going through `lsmod` and grepping our kernel configs (I think) to
figure out what they were called in the kernel.

> - Custom kernel, starting from Linux-libre and removing components: 40
>   minutes.  It works, but I don't understand why it's still so long to
>   build.  I've removed almost all devices I didn't need from the "device
>   section", but this is clearly not the bottleneck.

I started that way too, but I wasn't sure just how much I could take out.

¹ https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Kernel

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר