guix-devel

Re: create a symlink

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: create a symlink
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 00:06:16 +0100

On Wed, 13 Mar 2019 15:52:36 +0100
Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Rene <address@hidden> skribis:
>
> > How I can change "/hurd/" by "/gnu/store/abc..-hurd-0.9/hurd/" in
> > <hurd/paths.h> through Guix?
>
> I think /hurd is hard to avoid; it’s akin to /bin/sh, which is also
> hard-coded in libc (for the ‘system’ function).  As you found out, you’d
> need to change macros in libc headers, which means that libc could only
> talk to a specific instance of the Hurd servers.  Furthermore, /hurd
> needs to be writable.
>
> So I would recommend keeping /hurd, at least as a first approach.

In that case, /hurd could be handled like we handle /run/booted-system .

Rene could use service extension like

  (service-extension boot-service-type hurd-boot-gexp)

in order to create the "/hurd" symlink (in hurd-boot-gexp).

That is, if the Hurd can boot that far (until the root filesystem is mounted).

In fact, as a hack, we could create a dummy service that does the service
extension and use it for the Hurd.