guix-devel

Re: Guix on the ASUS C201PA

From: Vagrant Cascadian
Subject: Re: Guix on the ASUS C201PA
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 14:04:09 -0700

On 2019-03-23, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Vagrant Cascadian <address@hidden> skribis:
>> There's a FIXME for properly fetching the veyron kernel configuration,
>> but otherwise it's looking almost like something worth formally
>> submitting... ?
>
> It looks like it!  Mark, could you comment on this patch, in particular
> the ‘kernel-config-veyron’ bit (see below)?  Danny is fine with it.  :-)
>
> It’s great that you managed to simplify this.  Then I guess we could add
> the example and other useful bits that Timothy had.

I feel like just getting a working kernel in guix will make it easier to
work on the "bootloader" integration and such, since the kernel is a
relatively large build, having to build that in a local branch only,
rebase, etc. to keep current ... has it's cost.

Although if you want to integrate the depthcharge/bootloader patches
too, they do work, though there's no way I know of to implement system
generation selection in a bootloader menu. Biggest reason I want to get
u-boot working, but no progress on that.

I have a few more changes to the veyron-specific config that were needed
for desktop use (CONFIG_CGROUP_PERF + related), without which, enabling
the desktop caused things like pam calls to fail... The desktop is
unfortunately painfully slow. I might not get a chance to submit the
updated patches for a few days yet...

In theory and ideally, it should be possible to enable the right
features in the "regular" linux-libre package, and document the extra
modules needed in the initrd, but I have not yet managed to figure out a
working combination there. Not sure if it would be better to just wait
for that at this point.

Now if it were just possible to build libreboot in guix... but since
libreboot is essentially it's own system, it would most likely have to
re-implement libreboot's build system in guix.

live well,
  vagrant