guix-devel

Status update on 1.0

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Status update on 1.0
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 16:17:43 +0100

Hello Guix!

When we said we’d try to release 1.0 for FOSDEM, we were talking about
FOSDEM *2019*, which is well over now, so I think we need to get our act
together and complete the remaining tasks for 1.0.  :-)

Looking at the
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/doc/1.0.org>
plus my own memories, here are work items that still need to be
addressed:

  • The graphical installer has been merged (yay!) but we still need to
    discuss it in the manual and to test it some more.

  • The installer should be changed to produce the right
    ‘initrd-modules’ field, using the same mechanism used by
    ‘check-device-initrd-modules’.

  • The story about grafts and displaying upfront what’s going to be
    built is not fixed yet.  I’ve been toying with the build
    continuations but nothing conclusive yet.  I’ve also thought about
    quick hacks instead but nothing concrete either.

  • IPv6 support in ‘static-networking-service’: as discussed at the
    Guix Days, we’ll probably need to Linux Netlink sockets to do that
    rather than the old ioctls currently used in (guix build syscalls).

    The netlink interface for network config is vaguely documented at
    <https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/networking/generic_netlink_howto>.
    Writing bindings for ‘sendmsg’ and the associated data structures
    looks reasonable… it just needs to be done.

  • GDM works well for GNOME and WMs that provide a .session file.
    However it still doesn’t honor ~/.xsession.  We discussed it before
    and dropped the ball.  Timothy, what’s missing?  I’d really like to
    make it the default.

  • GDM’s closure is 1.3 GiB, we should do something about it.

  • I think we should add ‘guix install’, ‘guix remove’, and ‘guix
    upgrade’.

  • “GuixSD” has been removed from the web site and from almost all of
    the source code.  Still need to fix the file names that appear in
    Makefile.am.

  • Work for guix.gnu.org is on its way thanks to Julien, hopefully done
    soon.

If you’re interesting in tackling a specific issue, please share.  Let’s
all tackle these so we can finally reach that milestone and celebrate!

Ludo’.