guix-devel

Re: Express Logic claims GUIX trademark

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Express Logic claims GUIX trademark
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 11:05:00 +0100

Hullo,

Hartmut Goebel wrote:
Am 11.03.19 um 20:00 schrieb Tobias Geerinckx-Rice:
It took me all of 20 seconds to find the actual GUIX trademark
registration[1], so we can stop basing this discussion on regrettable
typographical choices in press releases.

It's 4 months old.

As Pjotr already stated: we should get in touch with the FSF to make
them file a case against this trademark.

Well, I wasn't talking about my own lawyer :-p

There's also the Free Software Conservancy (sfconservancy.org) but I agree that, as a part of GNU, we should deal with this through the FSF. That's up to the maintainers to decide.

Also this might to so easy:

‘not be’?

- The registration says: "First use 2014" and "Use in Commerce 2014". Thus we need to proof we used "guix" earlier, e.g. using archive.org [1]

Good, that's trivial. Cue legal bikeshedding over the meaning of ‘commerce’, I guess.

- We should also check for trademark registrations in other areas, e.g.
Europe, India, China.

AFAICT the mark is not registered in Europe. The question is whether it needs to be to be ‘enforced’ by EL.

- It might even be useful to invest ~300 € for registering GUIX as a
trademark in Europe.

It's nice™ that we already have a legal entity named ‘Guix Europe’ ready to do so if necessary.

Kind regards,

T G-R