guix-devel

Re: create a symlink

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: create a symlink
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2019 09:22:14 +0100

Hi Rene,

On Fri, 08 Mar 2019 15:13:13 -0600
Rene <address@hidden> wrote:

> Danny Milosavljevic <address@hidden> writes:
>

> > What is supposed to load the "/hurd" that would be created ?
> >

> After starting GNU Mach microkernel, the hurd translators are required to
> start
> the operating system.
>
> At the moment all components like gnumach, hurd servers point to /hurd.
>
> Maybe there is a way to avoid links?

I see.  I ask because usually the part that loads that can be adapted and
is also a better place to do the adaption in the first place--instead of
hard-coding "/hurd".  After all, we want eventually to have the ability
to roll back the system by selecting a previous generation in the
bootloader menu again.  That doesn't work all that well with the "/hurd"
link.

But as far as I understand, you boot Debian/Hurd or something and then
it loads Guix, right?

In that case, we can understand the GNU Mach microkernel as a bootloader
(from our vantage point) and thus emit the /hurd link in the "bootloader"
configuration.  It's not that clean, but it works (sans rollback, though).

Cleaner would be to also boot Guix's gnumach microkernel.

It seems that https://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/grub.html documents
how to get grub to boot mach and then hurd--and it seems that there, the
paths are specified.

It should be easy to adapt gnu/bootloader/grub.scm's grub-configuration-file
to emit those and then reconfigure.

(Later, we could add "multiboot" and "modules" to <menu-entry> in
gnu/bootloader.scm)

However, it's a dangerous part to modify since this part cannot be rolled
back easily.  So don't make a typo ;)