guix-devel

Re: Renewing certificates with certbot

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: Renewing certificates with certbot
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2019 15:33:23 +0100

Le 2019-03-06 15:19, address@hidden a écrit :
Julien Lepiller transcribed 1.6K bytes:
Le 2019-03-06 14:42, Ludovic Courtès a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Julien Lepiller <address@hidden> skribis:
>
> > I use certificates from let's encrypt for my website and mail servers,
> > and found that there was an issue with certificates generated by the
> > certbot service in Guix: the generated private keys are world-readable
> > (in a directory that cannot be accessed by anyone but root, so it's OK
> > I guess). OpenSMTPD is not happy with that though, so I have to chmod
> > the files every time. I came up with a variant of the deploy-hook
> > that's presented in the manual, and I'd like to update the example
> > with it. Here it is:
> >
> > ;; Find running nginx and reload its configuration (for certificates)
> > (define %my-deploy-hook
> >   (program-file
> >    "my-deploy-hook"
> >    #~(let* ((pid (call-with-input-file "/var/run/nginx/pid" read))
> >             (cert-dir (getenv "RENEWED_LINEAGE"))
> >             (privkey (string-append cert-dir "/privkey.pem")))
> >        ;; certbot private keys are world-readable by default, and
> > smtpd complains
> >        ;; about that, refusing to start otherwise
> >        (chmod privkey #o600)
> >        (kill pid SIGHUP))))
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> It sounds like a serious issue that private keys are world-readable.  Is
> it a bug on our side or in Certbot?  I think we should fix it so that

It's a certbot default, on all all systems.

Actually, reading https://github.com/certbot/certbot/issues/1473 suggests
it's not the case anymore. I was probably running an older version
of certbot.

> they are never world-readable, rather than document how to work around
> the bug.
>
> WDYT?
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

I don't think this is an issue: the file is world-readable, but the
directory
it's in is not accessible to anyone but root. OpenSMTPD still complains,
but I think there's no security issue.