guix-devel

Re: Renewing certificates with certbot

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: Renewing certificates with certbot
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2019 14:51:39 +0100

Le 2019-03-06 14:42, Ludovic Courtès a écrit :
Hi,

Julien Lepiller <address@hidden> skribis:

I use certificates from let's encrypt for my website and mail servers,
and found that there was an issue with certificates generated by the
certbot service in Guix: the generated private keys are world-readable
(in a directory that cannot be accessed by anyone but root, so it's OK
I guess). OpenSMTPD is not happy with that though, so I have to chmod
the files every time. I came up with a variant of the deploy-hook
that's presented in the manual, and I'd like to update the example
with it. Here it is:

;; Find running nginx and reload its configuration (for certificates)
(define %my-deploy-hook
  (program-file
   "my-deploy-hook"
   #~(let* ((pid (call-with-input-file "/var/run/nginx/pid" read))
            (cert-dir (getenv "RENEWED_LINEAGE"))
            (privkey (string-append cert-dir "/privkey.pem")))
       ;; certbot private keys are world-readable by default, and
smtpd complains
       ;; about that, refusing to start otherwise
       (chmod privkey #o600)
       (kill pid SIGHUP))))

What do you think?

It sounds like a serious issue that private keys are world-readable. Is
it a bug on our side or in Certbot?  I think we should fix it so that
they are never world-readable, rather than document how to work around
the bug.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

I don't think this is an issue: the file is world-readable, but the directory
it's in is not accessible to anyone but root. OpenSMTPD still complains,
but I think there's no security issue.