guix-devel

Re: [video repo] when making videos inside container images break

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: [video repo] when making videos inside container images break
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2019 08:19:20 +0100

Hello Björn,

Björn Höfling <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont:
2019. márc. 6., Sze, 7:44):

> On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 20:30:51 +0100
> Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> > Then I looked around the package definition of inkscape, where I found
> > no sign of cairo...
> >
> > I tried adding it to the container, and it seems to be working fine
> > here.
>
> Hi Gábor,
>
> thank you for that analysis! Do you think it would make sense to add
> cairo as as inputs or propagated-inputs for inkscape?

I don't know. Most of the functionality seems to be intact when it is missing.
However it would be nice to at least notify the user about the missing cairo,
and that it might break image funtionality. I am not in general very statisfied
when a program just picks up its runtime dependencies from whatever
environment it is run... but I feel it's not going to change soon.

Is there any way how we could extend a guix package receipe to list at least
the well-known optional runtime dependencies, and to describe what funtionality
do they add to a program, so the user could select what to install alongside?

> Björn

Best regards,
g_bor