guix-devel

Re: guix weather issue? (was Re: guix package builds, subsitutes and --n

From: Giovanni Biscuolo
Subject: Re: guix weather issue? (was Re: guix package builds, subsitutes and --no-build)
Date: mer, 27 feb 2019 09:21:56 +0100

Hi Chris,

Chris Marusich <address@hidden> writes:

> Giovanni Biscuolo <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> AFAIU the issue is "guix weather" reporting on the availability related
>> to current master and not of user commit: am I wrong?
>
> I'm not sure.  That would explain the issue you saw.  I haven't checked
> the code.  Maybe you could take a peek?  If "guix weather" is using
> master branch and ignoring the current channel configuration, it seems
> like it might be unintended behavior.

I'll try to understand guix weather code (guix/guix/scripts/weather.scm)
but I'm pretty new to Guile and Guix so it will be a long study for me

...so sorry, but for now do not count on me for a timely report on this
:-)

>> a little (digression
>>
>>   anyway even if that is not the issue, users should have some way to
>>   check if a substitute is available for their current commit, so they
>>   can decide if they are willing to locally build or not.

[...]

> I agree it would be nice if one could control the behavior more easily.
> However, someone needs to put in the time to design and implement the
> solution.  So far, I think people with time and energy have chosen
> instead to focus on improving substitute availability, in the hopes that
> it will prove more useful in the long term.

yes I'm aware of this and I find this is not a priority for Guix,
improving substitutes availability is

> Would you be interesting in working on it?

yes but for me "it's a long way to the top if you (me) wanna
rock'n'roll" :-)

[...]

> I have attempted to reproduce the issue using that information.  When I
> ran "guix pull" to use the same version of Guix you were using
> (a4fc80254a53b46b33f138d1009ddd044b8cb6be) and then ran "guix weather",
> I saw the same output as you (i.e., ci.guix.info reported that the
> substitute was available).  However, when I ran...
>
>   guix package \
>        --substitute-urls=https://ci.guix.info \
>        -p /tmp/test-profile \
>        -m /tmp/manifest.scm
>
> ...Guix began downloading chromium from ci.guix.info.  The contents of
> /tmp/manifest.scm is the same manifest you provided.  So, unfortunately
> this means I wasn't able to reproduce the issue you experienced.
> Everything seems to be working correctly on my end.

could you please report here the exact substitute derivation you got?

on Monday Ricardo told us:

>> $ guix package -i ungoogled-chromium
>> substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.info'... 100.0%
>> building
>> /gnu/store/4mvzzx2jmr4r4p2kx0hcvwr9s9lvx0gd-ungoogled-chromium-72.0.3626.109.drv...
>> \ 'set-paths' phase^C
>
>There is no such derivation on the server at berlin.guixsd.org.

It wold be interesting to see what derivation you got this time

Thanks!
Giovanni

[...]

--